Information Commons Software
The Poynter Library Information Commons currently provides computing services through access to MS Office suite of desktop publishing tools including MS Word, PowerPoint, and other applications most commonly requested by faculty and students of USFSP. Please view our listing of current offerings through our Hardware and Software Resource Guide . Computers in this area are managed by NetID, allowing access only to currently registered students, faculty and staff. In addition to the desktop publishing tools, these computers also provide access to Libraries of the USF System Databases, BlackBoard, and the Internet. Network-based color and black & white printing and copying are also available. Please visit the Systems Library Printing and Copying page for more information.
Supported exclusively by the Nelson Poynter Library Systems Office, the Information Commons’ primary goal is to provide access to the library’s print and electronic materials and services. Requests for software applications and configurations that are not compatible will be redirected to the Office of Campus Computing. Instructional support extends only to library-specific applications. Students will need to contact their instructor for course-specific software support.
Requests for additional software should meet the following criteria:
- Must be USF site licensed software where the University has unlimited usage rights on USF equipment. Other software must be accompanied by proof of purchase and fully licensed to cover all Information Commons machines.
- Contain or be accompanied by a license file and/or documentation that will be housed in the Library Systems Office for copyright and auditing compliance.
- Provide allowance for software to be installed during semester breaks when machines are available for new installations.
- Requesting faculty are expected to participate in conducting an adequate test of the software after installation.
- Software must run in an exclusively local environment, not requiring off-site connectivity or server-based file storage or support mechanisms.
- Adhere to the USF Network Usage Policies, as well as operate within the restrictions of the library's network firewall.
Requests should be made to the Library Systems Office at (727) 873-4402, and are subject to approval by the Dean of the Library.